Outline:
Community Football League Returns to Traeger Park
A remote community football league will hold its finals series in Alice Springs next month after the town council reversed a decision to ban the games for two years. The Central Australian Football League bush competition, which includes teams from various remote communities, had been barred from using Traeger Park for its finals games following concerns about crime spikes during the grand final match.
In August last year, the Alice Springs Town Council made the decision to suspend the finals at Traeger Park for two years. This move came after reports of increased criminal activity during the event. However, recent developments have seen the council reconsider its stance, allowing the finals to proceed as planned.
Mayor Matt Paterson expressed his disagreement with the council’s decision to reverse the ban. He stated that the original decision was made for valid reasons and that no significant changes had occurred since then. “Council has effectively rescinded an earlier decision, and I think all that hard work and all that hard stuff that council has to do is now being let off,” he said. Despite his reservations, Paterson acknowledged that differing opinions exist and emphasized that community football should be played in community spaces.
AFL NT Advocates for Venue
The reversal of the ban was influenced by a letter from Sam Gibson, the head of AFL NT. In his correspondence, Gibson outlined strategies to address the council’s concerns and proposed that the finals be held at Traeger Park once again. He highlighted the importance of the AFL as a key pillar of positive social engagement and community cohesion across the territory.
Gibson pointed out that community venues lack the necessary infrastructure, such as change rooms and secure fencing, which are essential for hosting large events. He argued that Traeger Park’s high fences would provide better crowd control and a safer environment in the unlikely event of incidents. Additionally, he noted that remote communities often face challenges in accessing adequate support services during large gatherings.
To mitigate risks, Gibson mentioned several strategies aimed at encouraging positive social behaviors and ensuring safe travel for attendees after the games. These include collaboration with charter companies to assist people in returning home and programs designed to encourage community members to go back to their homes rather than staying in town.
Councillor Changes Position
Councillor Allison Bitar initially supported the ban due to concerns about planning and safety. However, she recently changed her stance after reviewing AFL NT’s proposal. Bitar felt reassured that the mitigation methods would help keep community residents in their own areas and reduce antisocial behavior in town.
She pointed out that this year’s schedule includes an additional week between games, which allows for better planning and coordination. AFL NT has also worked with charter companies to facilitate transportation for attendees. Furthermore, some of the finals games will be live-streamed in communities, minimizing the need for residents to travel to Alice Springs.
Finals Set to Proceed
The Central Australian Football League bush competition’s finals series will take place at Traeger Park next month. A preliminary final is scheduled for August 10, followed by the grand final on August 24. Both games will start at 1pm.
Mayor Paterson expressed hope that AFL NT’s mitigation strategies would be effective. “I really do want people playing football… I hope it goes seamless on the 24th of August and the 10th of August, and AFL NT can say ‘I told you so’ and I’d be happy for that,” he said. The return of the finals to Traeger Park marks a significant step forward for the local football community and highlights the ongoing efforts to balance safety with the promotion of community activities.
